Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ELVIS SANDWICH

I overheard some people at a store talk about celebrating Elvis Presley's Birthday, January 8th.

I was an Elvis fan, but became a bigger fan living in Memphis, Tennessee for 4 years while I was in the Navy. I even got to sing at Graceland during his Birthday in 1993 for the stamp dedication. (The most profitable stanp in US Postal History) amongst all the other famous Elvis Impersonators. Don't go thinking I was dressed in the famous White Elvis Jumpsuit....It was an official Navy gig and I was in a Navy Uniform.
Anyway back to the people at the store...They talked about serving Elvis' favorite sandwich.
Now as time rolled by, this sandwich has dwindled to being a Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich grilled on both sides with butter. (As these people thought) Of course being an Elvis fan, I had to correct them.
As many of us Elvis fans know and confirmed by being on the official Graceland Tour (I went through the Graceland Tour 3 times) The famous Elvis Sandwich is actually a mashed Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich with crisp (almost burnt) bacon, cut into fourths, BATTERED and DEEP FRIED in butter (Not oil)
While in Hawai'i, this sandwich evolved further for Elvis using Hawaiian bread, topped with powdered with sugar and drizzled with chocolate.
Elvis also loved another version of this while in Europe called, "Fool's Gold Loaf" a loaf of Italian bread filled with a pound of bacon, peanut butter, and grape jelly.
Ugh...Just thinking of the Elvis Sandwich makes my arteries harden...Though, it's close to lunch time!




No comments: