Monday, October 19, 2009

WHERE the WILD THINGS ARE

I was truly excited in going to see "Where the Wild Things Are"
BUT after seeing it, I was a bit disappointed. My fond childhood memory of reading this famous book got lost with the whole physchological relationship of each "Wild Thing" and the young Max. This was alot more like seeing "Wicked" but with the pace of "Remains of the Day ".
The "Wild Things" were great. They literally are the same characters jumped right out of the book The artistry of each "Wild Thing" went into perfect detail. At first, I thought, "James Gandolfini as one of the Wild Things? This isn't "Where the Mobsters are" BUT..I honestly he and Forest Whitaker were absolutely perfect. It took me a while to get use to women's voices coming out of these "Wild Things".
Unfortunately, I cannot say that about the artistry of the location. It was too bare and uninteresting. Where are the palm trees and the lush foliage from the book?
I didn't say I did not like it. It was...clever. But try to explain clever to a child. As I observed in the theatre, the children became very restless and uninterested. Mark Minnick, this is definitely not your type of movie.

No comments: