Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I MISS ME A CHRISTMAS REVUE

Even though I am presently in Hans Bachman's adaptation of "A Christmas Carol", Nothing can get me into the mood for the Holidays more than the Christmas Revue that we used to perform at the West End Dinner Theatre written by Joey Wallen and directed and choreograhed by Mark Minnick. That show always was so special.

I miss the "Brigadoon" set of hills, valleys and a bridge being painted snow white for the season, having Jim Lawson as our "Santa Costume Change" as he quizzed the audience on naming all of Santa's reindeers....And Nixon not being one of them! (Couldn't serve comedy any better than that)
Anita's as Ms. Higginbottom and her sexy rendition of "Santa Baby"( Not to mention the close call of "Jack Frost roasting on an open fire"). Bob Kelly, Jim Lawson and myself as the 3 "Wise Guys" and Carla Dela Torre as the Virgin Mary, (Huh?) Darren McDonald singing as a child about getting "a dog" for Christmas and Lori Letner really bringing one of Mark Minnick's dogs out. Jeffrey Shankle being paired up to sing with every girl in the revue (especially in "The Greatest Gift of All") and the many different snow machines that Antonio Bullock dealt with from year to year for our White Christmas Finale.
And of course, how could you not miss the West End Dinner Theatre's production of "Babes in Toyland" year after year directed by Joey Wallen. Oh...What a wonderful season those were!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Ron, I miss it too. How delightful to hear your specific memories and I am honored to be featured in your photo. XOXO!

Jim Lawson said...

I MISS IT ALL VERY MUCH! It's good to hear that you all are thinking about it too.

Ron Curameng said...

Jim, My favorite Christmas Revue moment was at the Birchmere. One night, we had an intermission that lasted for at least an 45 minutes long. Due to that long intermission, one of the patrons came into our dressing room/green room area and started yelling, "You all are ruining my Christmas!" Then Jim, you said, "Ma'am..Ma'am! We are just actors, Ma'am! THEN...There was the number, "Good News/Go Tell it on the Mountain" I missed Anita and Bob jamming and dancing in their Dickens' Costume and you, Jim doing trenches as you put the stepstool down to elevate me.Hehehe

Krissy Doyle said...

Kevin and I did sound/lights for the Birchmere Christmas special. That was so much fun. And the cast were all so very talented! My favorite moment was definitely when Anita sang "Jack Frost roasting on an open fire!" Ha ha ha ha. Great memories!

Jim Lawson said...

My family was in the audience when Anita sang that, they still bring it up every Christmas and laugh hysterically.

Ron Curameng said...

At that Brichmere Christmas Revue Show, Anita asked Bob in the Children's Segment, "Bob. Your voice is awefully low." Bob returns innocently to Anita, "Yes, Mrs. Higglebottom. I think they're droppin'" Bob walks back into the green room embarrassed and astonished and says, "OMG! I can't believe I said They're droppin'"